How to Detect Damaged Electrical Wiring in Your Home

How to Detect Damaged Electrical Wiring in Your Home

Well, you need to protect your home from damaged, outdated or incorrectly installed electric wiring, as they are not something that can be overlooked. Watch out for defective or malfunctioning wiring and never ignore the crucial warning signals.

Be Cautious of Chewed or Frayed Wiring

This type of damage is normally inflicted by either pets and rodents or unskilled technician. Chewed or frayed electric wiring can inflict a grave shock and fire danger, so it should be repaired as soon as possible. Even if you have the slightest of doubt then also it is recommended to have it inspected by a certified electrical contractor.

Burning Smell and Other Strange Smells

If you sense any smoky or burning smells or other strange smells around your home’s power outlets or from electrical panel, you certainly need to act promptly. Burning smells are signals indicating that fire damage has already started, and if this is the case then you need to get the assistance of an emergency electrician outright.

Feel for Vibrating or Warm Power Outlets Without Touching

You need to sense or feel your home’s power outlets for any vibrations or heat without touching any electric wiring openly. Whether you find one or both problems, immediately get in touch with a licensed electrician and arrange for an electrical safety inspection.

Tripping of the Circuit Breaker

It’s quite ordinary for your property’s circuit breaker to trip, as they are made to operate that way. Whenever the system is overloaded, it automatically cuts off your electric power. In a majority of cases, you should be able to turn it on again and carry on with your routine. However, it could be an indicator of a profound problem if your property’s circuit breaker trips excessively.

Pay Attention to Buzzing, Dimming or Flickering Lights

If your circuit breaker isn’t tripping off that doesn’t indicate that there aren’t any problems. Another indicator of damaged or dated wiring is lights that buzz, dim or flicker. Well, if your home’s lights buzz when you turn them on or dim/flicker when using multiple appliances then this could be an indicator that your property requires a small upgrade.

Watch for any Smoke, Discolouration and Scorching

Always have an eye over your property’s power outlets. If you detect any scorch marks or discolouration, it is an indicator that the electric wiring is dented and releasing heat. The heat is already damaging your property and has the capability to do even worse; for instance, it may cause an electrical fire, if overlooked.

Through a self-explanatory infographic, know about Electrical Safety Tips.

The Bottom Line

If you find any of the above warning indicators around your property, it is highly recommended to get in touch with a certified electrical contractor at the earliest. Never ever, try to mend or fiddle with the electric wiring by yourself, as this could inflict further damage, which could be dangerous, such as a fatal accident. Service Today provides the services of an emergency electrician 24×7, year-round thereby assisting you to keep your homes safe and sound.

Categories: Featured

About Author